Just a quickie post outlining something I ran into; I installed/upgraded VMWare Tools and ended up having no Ethernet device. This is what I think would be a streamlined procedure to get things where they should be.
There are two ways to do this – the easy, safe way, and the somewhat cleaner but more dangerous way. I’ll be providing the steps for doing it the not quite so easy, somewhat more dangerous way, as it makes your partitions look nicer. This is probably the most unsafe way to do it, and there’s probably easier ways to accomplish what I’m trying to do, but here’s what appears to have worked.